Monday, July 29, 2013

toothbrush

in my dating life, the moment I give someone a toothbrush carries a lot of significance. it means you've slept over at least 4 times and it doesn't make sense for you to just chew some trident before bed anymore. it means I have an expectation that you'll make good use of that brand new toothbrush, that there's some sense of permanency of having you in my life. it also means that I'll have a daily reminder of you sitting on my bathroom sink. having your own toothbrush is a prerequisite to having your own hanger, which opens the door to having your own drawer, key, etc. It's the commentary equivalent of Summer letting Tom into her room for the first time.  

today I threw wbf2's toothbrush out - and all of "us", whatever that was, along with it. I immediately felt a wave of relief and freedom - who knew a dental cleaning tool could carry such emotional symbolism? 

wbf2 and I had been loitering dangerously close to the border of relationship status, and it was only a matter of time before we accidentally inched a toe across that line. for us it was a weekend of fighting like a couple, realizing we cared, having way too many relationship-y lectures, being grilled by friends about our status, and sending a kissy face emoticon that set us over the edge into that relationship minefield. as the grey area crumbled, we turned and ran full speed the other way until "relationship" became a laughable foreign concept. 

I have one toothbrush left, and you can bet I won't be giving it to another placeholder

No comments:

Post a Comment